Author: Annelize Spies
Some call him Alex, some call him Mr. Martin, others call him Alexander (probably only his mum, though), but to us he’s Bo$$man. Our awesome Bo$$Man celebrated his 33rd birthday on the 3rd of April 2016 and we’d like to just share some awesome facts about this lekker human being with you.
Who is Bo$$Man at work
Besides being the world’s best recruiter, Alex also runs a very successful 5 year old Recruit Digital. Mentoring the team, strategising, shouting “Who’s making deals?”, sharing his extensive knowledge about the industry, communicating value to candidates and clients on the phone, are just some of the tasks you’ll find him doing when at the office.
Who is Bo$$Man outside of work
Alex is father to two beautiful children, Adam (4) and Emily (1) and fiancé to the lovely Hannah (see photo below). He loves spending time with his family at markets, gardening, enjoying the best food in Cape Town and having fun with his family on the family farm in Wilderness. Alex is also helping Hannah get her start-up, Skin Creamery, off the ground in his free time and recently became a CrossFit fanatic (although, he doesn’t talk about it the whole time).
Who Bo$$Man claims he is
We asked Alex a random group of questions and these were his honest answers:
- What was your first job?
I had a paper round when I was about 14… Does that count?
- How did you land your first job? Give us some juicy details
Well, if we’re talking about the paper-round – I walked in to the corner shop and asked for a job!
- What is the one thing that you love most about your job?
The buzz of placing someone. Never tires, ever.
- If you were given R1 million, what is the first thing you would buy?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be? And why this specific superpower?
I’d like to fly.
- What is your favourite place to eat at in the Mother City?
Carne, Haiku, Willoughbys.
- When you have 30 minutes of free-time, how do you pass the time?
- What do you miss most about being a kid?
Thinking I was cool, and not giving a f*@k!
- Pick a favourite: Beer or Wine?
- Complete the sentence: Life would be meaningless without…
- All-time favourite movie?
- Favourite way to exercise?
Walking to and from the bar… Does that count? (Edit: he lately joined the CrossFit craze, but doesn’t talk about it the whole time ;))
- What town did you grow up in?
Bexleyheath. A real dump, I don’t miss it…
- Favourite view in Cape Town?
Um, the top of table mountain is pretty hard to beat
- Have you ever been arrested?
Yes (long story, I was very young, and pretty wild)
- What was your dream job growing up?
Archaeologist. (inspired by Indiana Jones)
- Craziest thing(s) you’ve ever done?
Relocate to South Africa
How we see Bo$$Man
I asked everyone in the office to describe Alex in 3 words (note the use of fancy words). This is the result:
We’re extremely grateful to have such an amazing boss, mentor and friend. Thank you so much for everything you do for us.
Here’s to you! Give that man a Bells (or Caol Ila – he prefers that)!